Sunday, January 30, 2011

Week 4 Recap and Looking Ahead to Final Week

Romans 14:4- "For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope."

I read this verse today and though it very fitting for my week 4 experience at the Academy.  It has been a challenging week, both physically and mentally.  I have been tested, stretched, defeated, and victorious during the week.  Camp games have become frequent, the situations have become more complex, and the managers have become more aggresive.  The saying here is that if you can umpire at Umpire School, you can upmire anywhere.  I sure hope that's true!

As I mentioned before, Week 4 was a week in which strong impressions were made.  From what I know, I have a strong shot of making it to the next level.  There was a camp game on Saturday that paired up comparable umpires (we assumed the ones with a shot) together on one field.  I was on that field and had a strong game with 3 situations I felt I handled fairly well.  Although strong impressions were made in Week 4, I can say that final decisions have not been made yet (or so we all think here).  Thankfully, there really aren't any superstars here that are far advanced than the rest of us- it's a dog fight!  Endurance and Encouragement have been key for me in learning from my mistakes and moving forward with hope. 

On a lighter note- I have heard some of the funniest baseball sayings that come out of the Academy Instructors, all of whom are professional umpires.  I guess they must have compiled quite a list of sayings that have been directed at them in professional baseball and it is now their turn to direct them toward us!  One of the funniest was when a player and manager began arguing with an umpire over a call.  After one was ejected, he got down on a knee, put his batting helmet on the ground with a finger on it.  Then the manager said, "You kicked that one just like you kicked this one!" as he proceeded to field goal kick the helmet...Funny because it wasn't me, but serious for that umpire.  They have a way of teaching the truths about what we will possibly encounter in the professional game at this school.  Jim Evan's consistent sayings are, "We are teaching you survival skills here," and "My job is to teach you your job." 

Another strong theme from this course that Jim emphasizes in patriotism for this country.  We have seen several war clips, had quizzes on our national anthem and history, as well as learning the proper way to stand for the National Anthem as an umpire on the field.  It is an honor to be just a little part of this great game in this great country. 

Looking ahead to this week, we have 4 more days of evaluation- Monday- Thursday.  Typically, Friday is a half- day of having some fun with mechanics and the final banquet that night.  Final Evaluations (Assignments) are given on Saturday morning and we are all out of here!  There have been a few Umpire Coordinator's from some of the country's elite collegiate summer leagues who have advertised their need for umpires who do not go on to the next level.  The tone has become very serious over the last 2 days and will continue over the next 5.  People's lives will be changed after their experience here (some will move on to pro ball, some to PBUC and not make that cut, some will continue their hobby at a higher level, and some will not make the cut this year and come back next year).  For me- the decision on if I get selected to go to the next level, has also become very real.  I am back to the question I came here with: What do I do if I make it? 

I still don't have the answer, but have been full of prayers and faith that whatever happens is for the best.  If I am able to put it all together in the next few days, I think I will have a serious shot of moving forward.  All I can do is continue to hustle and begin to excel. 

I want to again thank everyone for their amazing support allowing me to take this journey.  I will be pleased with whatever God has in store and there is NO way I could have done it by myself.  My mom, dad, brother, girlfriend, family, friends, and umpire mentor have been supprotive and I feel lucky.  I love you all.

Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment